Hypothyroidism is when body produces insufficient thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid hormone regulates metabolism of the body.
- Thyroid hormone affects nearly every part of your body, from your heart brain, to your muscles and skin.
- Common symptoms of Hypothyroidism are; weight gain, lethargy, muscle pain, mood swings, slow heart rate, changes in menstrual cycle.
- Diagnostic criteria is raised serum TSH levels.
- Thyroid deficiency (Hypothyroidism) is balanced by supplementing with thyroid tablets (eltroxin).
- Healthy eating and exercise habits to be maintained to avoid weight gain and nutritional deficiencies.
- Discontinuation of the treatment or not taking the required dose of thyroid supplement affects heart, brain, kidneys and other vital organs.